If, like us, you’re a Midge superfan, then you’re probably feeling extreme withdrawal after binging all 8 episodes in 2 days. It’s a long wait until season 2, but fear not—here are 6 Maisel-like YAs with fierce, funny and feisty female MCs and lots of jokes.
There’s SO MUCH awesome YA sci-fi coming our way this year! Here are 12 YA sci-fi titles publishing in the first six months of 2018.
Ensembles are cool. They just are. When you find your crew, you feel less alone. And you can carry out magical heists much more easily. Here are 6 of the greatest YA ensembles.
Social media is everywhere and everything these days, so here are 6 #mustread social media-based YA novels. Like!
At a recent Barnes & Noble event for his beautiful and extraordinary new novel RELEASE, Patrick Ness shared some great writing insights:
- It’s always interesting hearing writers talk about writing… but ultimately, no two writers write the same way, so find the way and the process that works for you.
- Everything in writing is world-building, whether you’re writing sci-fi or contemporary YA. The things you’re writing about don’t have to be true, they just have to be convincing. You just have to create a world in which those things could logically happen.
- A book is not a song. A book is a performance of a song. It’s how you sing it that counts.
- You can write about anything in YA as long as you earn it. The only time things are harmful is if they’re cheaply handled.
- He doesn’t outline, but he usually knows the last line, and some general story beats. Everything else is discovery. (But see tip #1 above — he was very clear, that’s just what works for him! It may not work for you).
There you have it! 5 things to think about when you’re daydreaming or outlining or drafting or editing. Ness also shared on-set Chaos Walking photos of him with Tom Holland and Nick Jonas… by quickly holding up his phone so no one could really see them! Anticipation in the room was high for the movie, it’s fair to say! Ness was also super-focused on the audience — he grabbed a bunch of huge medical textbooks to put on his chair for him to sit on so that the folks at the back could see him. The man is a legend. So, absorb his insights, then make them your own—and kick some serious writing ass!—so that one day your thoughts on writing are the topic of a blog!
If you’re looking for books with intense characters and intricate storytelling—and why wouldn’t you be?—here are 6 dazzlingly plotted, breathtakingly great YA heist stories.
Patrick Ness, the staggeringly talented YA deity behind the Chaos Walking trilogy, A Monster Calls, More Than This, and the heartbreakingly brilliant—and heartbreakingly canceled—TV show CLASS (which featured some of the greatest YA sci-fi writing we’ve ever seen), has a new book out. This is, of course, a very good thing. The book is called RELEASE and—spoiler—it’s wonderful. This is why you should read it.
This brilliant ad extraordinary cover art is by Erin Fitzsimmons
There are SO MANY awesome female-penned YA sci-fi novels. Here are 8 of the very best!
Yes, we know Westworld was a show with very deliberately slow burn pacing… but did they have to make the wait for S2 such a slow burn too?! Apparently, yes, they did, so here are 5 YA novels to help you achieve God Mode while you wait for the storyline to be rebooted.